My youngest son just had a birthday. He inspires me by the way he welcomes each new year with fresh excitement. His joy is the opposite of being stuck in a rut.
I’ve counseled hundreds of people that feel stuck in their careers. They know that they aren’t experiencing the anticipation for life that they once had, but they have no idea how to move forward.
I tell them to start by simply sparking new thoughts.
I’m sure you’ve seen this quote before:
“Watch your thoughts, they become your words; watch your words, they become your actions; watch your actions, they become your habits; watch your habits, they become your character; watch your character, it becomes your destiny.”
The quote illustrates how our thoughts lead us to the outcomes in our lives. Yet often when we feel stuck in a rut, we seek to free ourselves by immediately making changes to our actions or habits, without first doing the work to change our thoughts.
My intention is to rekindle my connection to joy and spark new thoughts.
This week, I want you to try one or more of the activities below. Each one will help shape your thinking and help get you going in a new direction.
- Be still and quiet. Notice that I didn’t say pray. Prayer is speaking to God. Stillness is allowing time to listen.
- Cook for someone. Sure you can eat some too, but cook with the intention of serving and nourishing another. Any recipe will do.
- Spend time with children. There is something about a child’s energy that neutralizes defeat and rekindles possibility.
- Find art that moves you. I consider my favorite books to be masterpieces. They remind me that humans are capable of beautiful and extraordinary work. Sometimes I really need that reminder.
- Take up someone else’s cause. We all have struggles that are unique to our position in life. Help someone else with theirs. Embody the spirit of Martin Luther King Jr.’s famous quote, “Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”
- Help someone in the way that only you can. If you aren’t sure what that is yet, refer to #1 on this list.
Wishing you a peaceful and intentional week.