We all want to be of service. We want to make a difference in the world, in our communities, and in the lives of those around us.
Yet service can seem like an out-of-reach goal, one that is only achieved through long hours of volunteering and great sacrifices in our personal lives.
But being of service isn’t the enormous undertaking we tend to think it is. Service is a spiritual decision to use our lives to improve the experiences of others. It doesn’t have to feel like work, and it doesn’t have to take massive amounts of time and energy to be effective.
This week, I want you to focus specifically on reminding yourself how much impact you can have on the world.
MY INTENTION IS TO OWN MY POWER To Impact The lives of Others.
Here are ten easy ways to be of service to others this week. These are small but powerful acts that can be completed in five minutes or less. Choose a few and set a goal to achieve them. Journal about the thoughts they spark in you. Who did you help? How did you help them? Do you feel more powerful and able to effect change?
- Tell someone a joke. Laughter is good for the heart.
- Save someone from a work conversation they aren’t enjoying: “Hey, I hate to interrupt, but can I borrow you for two minutes?”
- Contact an elected official via social media or email to quickly advocate for a cause you believe in. You can find templates for contacting officials online through advocacy groups.
- Actually bring your reusable bags or coffee cup into the store or to the café.
- Text someone a specific compliment, e.g., “I admire the work you do.”
- Plant something.
- Pray for someone.
- Make a small, unrestricted online donation to a grassroots charity you believe in.
- Teach someone something. Anything.
- Give someone your undivided attention.
It is often the smallest actions that point us in a new direction. Before you can make your next career steps, it’s important to remind yourself that you have the power to change someone else’s world. Rediscovering your power in this way will help you discern how you want to use it as you move towards living and working intentionally.
Wishing you a peaceful and purpose-filled week.