I probably enjoy talking about what people do for a living more than most. But even I’m tired of being asked, “What do you do?” It’s an easy and relevant way to start a dialogue, but it limits deeper insight.
Most of us respond with a shallow and scripted answer that feels more like a transaction than a conversation.
So this week, our task is to go beyond titles and small talk; our goal is to truly connect.
This week’s intention
Here are 10 questions to ask instead. Some are more personal than others, but all should spark deeper and more interesting conversations.
My intention is to learn more about the people around me.
- What’s your favorite part of your job?
- If you retired tomorrow, how would you spend your days?
- What keeps you living in this area?
- Which of your jobs shaped you the most?
- Who is your favorite person at work?
- Where’s your favorite place?
- If you could heal one problem in the world, what would it be?
- How long could you give up your phone without missing it?
- What habit do you wish you had?
- How do you rest and recover?
Hoping these question will enhance your perspective. See you next week!
Working Whole is available on Amazon and all major online book retailers.